Monday, July 23, 2012

Carrot Cake

     I've noticed that people tend to go for quick and easy, so I tend to make cupcakes more often in my family.  One time at one of the kids birthday parties I made a double batch of cake but made in into cupcakes and they all went when normally if I make a single batch of cake I can barely get rid of half.
     This is the recipe that I always use for whatever I need something fast, it's a lot like the Zucchini bread only with carrots and a few other things.  The recipe I use is a very basic recipe, I don't put raisins or nuts or pineapple, but from time to time I throw some coconut in there it adds amazing flavor but the kids don't really like it that much.


We have here the carrots, eggs and sugar.  A good tips it, if you buys those carrots that are really fat (me mom calls them 'horse carrots') it makes things easier grating them and you only need three or four.  But because I forgot to tell my mom that, I had to grate about ten carrots, and I ended up grating my thumb a little too. 



And here we add the vanilla and cinnamon and oil.



MIX!!


 This here is the flour, salt, and baking soda.



And mix that in too.  I know I've said this before, but don't over mix otherwise instead of this will be tough and gross instead of moist and delicious.



I filled these  little over half full, 2/3 is a little too big for the little guys.  Plus they take shorter to bake that way,



See?  And now it's time to make the icing.



So here is the cream cheese, and some butter.



Now the sugar and the vanilla...



And mix away.  I love the color of this cream cheese icing.  After you make this, depending on how warm it is in the room you may want to stick it in the fridge so it won't be so droopy.  Otherwise you can use it right away!





Carrot Cake Cupcakes: Yields 24 cupcakes

1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. veg. oil
3 eggs
2 c. flour
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg
3 c. shredded carrots
1 c. nuts, coconut, pineapple, raisins (optional),

      Mix the first three ingredients and vanilla in a large bowl.  Add the carrots and nuts (if using) and mix.  Add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  Pre-heat the oven to 350° and line 24 cupcake tins and fill with batter a little over half way.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until springy to the touch.  Take the cupcakes out of the oven and let cool out of the tins on a cooling rack until completely cool.  Frost with cream cheese icing.

Cream Cheese Icing: 

2 blocks softened cream cheese
6 T. butter, soft
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 t. vanilla

    Cream together the cream cheese and butter until combined, them mix in the sugar and vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by, please leave a comment or question! Happy baking!